RYA VHF SRC Radio Course Summary
Course Duration : 1.5 days
Course Cost : £100 booking. (There is an additional fee of £60 for the exam payable to the RYA prior to the course).
Course Location : RAYC Beaumaris
Recommended Reading : RYA VHF handbook G31 (Included)
Course Prerequisite & Age : 16 Years + for exam. 3 hours pre-course reading.
What’s In The Course? The Short Range Certificate is the minimum qualification required by law to control the operation of VHF and VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC) equipment on any British flagged vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio. This includes both fixed and handheld equipment using International channels.
This is an essential qualification for anyone operating a VHF Radio.
Once registered for the course at the RAYC we will send out a copy of the VHF Handbook, to enable you to do some pre-course reading.
Prior to the course please register and pay for the exam online at the RYA using the link below, once registered please print of the course/exam application and bring it with you to the course. https://www.rya.org.uk/courses-training/courses/specialist/Pages/src-exam.aspx
RYA VHF Radio Course SRC (Short Range Certificate) Syllabus
- Background information on the GMDSS system and its equipment and licensing requirements
- Radio rules and regulations
- Operation of marine VHF equipment including DSC functions
- The phonetic alphabet
- Basic radio language and protocols including pro words such as over, say again, out etc.
- Correct use of the various channels
- How to make calls to other stations
- How to send a Distress Alert and Distress Message (Mayday)
- How to send an urgency alert and a safety call
Training Dates at RAYC.
Please find below a list of dates for the First Aid course. To reserve your place, please email email@example.com or contact Antony (Trigger) Robinson.
- Sunday 12th January
- Sunday 18th January