The Royal Anglesey Yacht Club can trace its roots back to 1802 when the Beaumaris Book Society was founded at the Ye olde Bulls Head Inn, Beaumaris.
In 1826 the society moved to number 6 Green Edge (where the club house is today) which became known as the “Newsroom on the green”.
Members from the society played a prominent part in the Beaumaris regatta of 1830 and in the years to come.
In 1885, the year after Bangor University was established; the club became the Royal Anglesey Yacht Club after Queen Victoria granted the club a Royal Warrant. The first commodore of the Club was Sir Richard H Williams Bulkeley who served until his death in 1942. He was also commodore of the Royal Yacht Squadron.
In September 1888 No 7 Green Edge was taken over as part of the club where they provided tea to members at 6p a head of which one penny went to club funds.
On the 12th July 1894 His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales cruised down the Strait. Owners of yachts were invited to assemble for a ‘demonstration’. A salute of 21 saluting rockets was fired from Gallows Point as the Royal party passed.
A special General Meeting was held on the 4th May 1903 to resolve an alteration to rules so that Ladies could be elected as members.
The Club’s 150th anniversary Dinner Dance was held in the Bulkeley Arms on June 1952 when 119 members attended.
The Club premises at 6 and 7 Green Edge were purchased from the Beaumaris Council on 5th January 1962
The safety launch ‘Bronwen’, which is still used today, was presented to the Club in 1968 by the Commodore at that time Miss M. C. Burton
A full time bosun was employed from 1970.
The Centenary Ball to celebrate the granting of the Royal Warrant was held in 1985 at the Menai Centre, Llanfair PG. Two hundred and twenty members attended.